Why Intentful not Intentional

Why intentful and not intentional: I was thinking about how much time I spend just thinking but not actually doing and laughed to myself that I was a "thoughtful" person but what I need to be is an "intentful" person. My thoughts need to transcend into intentional action and thus I need to move away from being "thoughtful" to "intentful".

Friday, October 22, 2010

Healthy Granola Recipe (low fat, low sugar)

I love granola! However, I find myself not eating it too often because it is generally made with A LOT of sugar and A LOT of extra fat. Awhile back a friend of mine brought over some reasonably low-fat, low-sugar granola and I was even more in love. Being me I decided to increase the healthy factor by adding milled flax seed and whole flax seeds. Can't ever get enough Omega 3's right?

*Note: This granola has great flavor but because it is low in fat and low in sugar it doesn't really have those delish granola clumps. Personally, I think the trade off is totally worth it.

To begin, pre-heat oven to 300*

Pour together in a big bowl then mix:
5 cups oatmeal
1 1/2 cups wheat flakes (actual flakes like oatmeal)
1 1/2 cups 5 grain flakes (actual flakes like oatmeal)
1 cup coconut unsweetened (optional)
1 cup Pecans
1 cup slivered almonds
1/2 cup walnuts (optional)
1 1/2 cup unsalted, not roasted sunflower seeds
1 cup wheat germ
1/4 cup milled flax
1/2 cup sesame seeds
1/2 cup whole flax seeds
Make sure to mix it together

Then in a microwavable bowl pour together:
1/3 cup of oil
2/3 cup of honey
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon
2 tbsp brown sugar
1/2 tsp salt



Microwave for 30-40 seconds then stir till smooth



















Then pour wet mixture over dry mixture











Then get a helper to help you mix it really well so everything is coated.

































So the color kind of looks like this.























Then pour in to two 9x13 pans.
























Then into the oven for 30-40 minutes stirring/flipping every 10 minutes till all turns golden. Watch carefully cause it happens fast and it is easy to over cook the bottom.























Then once both pans are cooled pour in cranberries, raisins or any other dry-fruit you want. I just eyeballed about how much I wanted. The first time I did cranberries and yellow raisins, and the second time just cranberries. I think it tasted betters with both of them although normally I am not a raisin fan.
























Stir in the fruit and store in airtight container. Enjoy :-)

1 comment:

  1. Yum! I love your recipes... I think I'll try this one. :)

    ReplyDelete