Why Intentful not Intentional

Why intentful and not intentional: I was thinking about how much time I spend just thinking but not actually doing and laughed to myself that I was a "thoughtful" person but what I need to be is an "intentful" person. My thoughts need to transcend into intentional action and thus I need to move away from being "thoughtful" to "intentful".

Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Little Drummer Boy

Little Drummer Boy is by far L's favorite Christmas song. She asks for it constantly and sings it, all the time. I have always liked the song so I have been happy to oblige. However, this year the song has hit an emotional cord, and from "I am a poor boy too" to "And then he smiled at me" I get chocked up and tears begin running down my cheeks.

It is just such an illustration of true worship. The boys contemplation of having no gift that is fit for a king reminds me of how awesome our God is and how we really don't have anything to give him that is equivalent to His glory. So the gift the boy gives is his ability to play the drum-or in other words the boy's gifted ability given to him by our Creator. The boy gives back what was given to him to the one who gave it. And he doesn't just play, but out of love, awe and devotion he plays his best. The song reminds me of my strong desire to do that too. It reminds me what living in worship is, and it overwhelms me with my love for my God. I love that the song ends with Christ smiling at the boy, for his simple act of worship was truly pleasing to his Creator.

3 comments:

  1. I love this song too, along with Oh Holy Night! My sister gave us this wondeful Christmas book this year called the Little Drummer Boy, so sweet. It tells the story of the song, with a little leeway (sp?) of course!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Imaya, I love the way you express the meaning of the littlel drummer boy - I had never thought of it in exactly this light, but I will never hear the words and not hear yours also. Love Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great insight! That is one of the reasons we always bring the kids up and sing "Little Drummer Boy" together at Rock Harbor's Christmas Eve services. It gives everyone the opportunity to remember that our worship is the gift God desires from us. A gift we can bring to Him throughout our year.

    ReplyDelete