Why Intentful not Intentional

Why intentful and not intentional: I was thinking about how much time I spend just thinking but not actually doing and laughed to myself that I was a "thoughtful" person but what I need to be is an "intentful" person. My thoughts need to transcend into intentional action and thus I need to move away from being "thoughtful" to "intentful".

Thursday, April 15, 2010

It is hard to photograph a bumble bee-they move so quick!

Yesterday was L's first dance class in a little over a month and the child was in shear joy at the news. Before breakfast, and pretty much before any attempt at any thing else, L went to her closet and very determinedly put together a yellow and black "dance class outfit". I say very determinedly because I tried detouring her away from the bumble bee look but she was dead set on it. L takes what she wears very seriously-from hair accessories to shoes, and I generally have very little say in it. (I really need to do a post on this kid and her love of clothes, shoes and accessories.)

Although, I didn't want the credit for the yellow and black outfit I did find it to be rather cute and wanted to take a nice picture of her. I hate indoor flash, and there was a good amount of light coming in the widows so I thought I might be able to pull off a decent picture with using my manual settings. Because I am just as stubborn as my child I determinedly decided I not only didn't want to use flash but also didn't want to up my ISO over 400. I have heard that if one learns something like photoshop they have a lot more leeway with lighting because they can fix -especially if the picture is a little too dark. However, I have yet to go that direction. I kind of just want to take a good picture without editing. Problem is I have pretty much zero photography knowledge and am rather stubborn.

Well, L DID NOT WANT HER PICTURE TAKEN. So I found myself pleading, "Please, please, please L just stay still so I can get good picture." For in order to get the light with out a high ISO or flash I needed to have a slower shutter speed which meant I needed the two year old to be still, and smile for a couple of minutes while I played with the settings to get everything just right.

Hmmm, that sentence is sort of like a beacon to all the flaws of my thinking in this.

The two-year old had other plans and would say, "NO PICTURE MOMMY!" And dance away.

After a bit she wanted breakfast, which meant being still and eating her pink yogurt. I took advantage of this and did get some great indoor lighting pictures. However, due to the subject matter-an eating two-year old who still did not want her picture taken- not one of them is really frameable. 

See the problem here-blurry from the movement, too dark for I haven't gotten the settings right. This is the best of the before breakfast bunch.


Now she is still and eating her breakfast yogurt. And I am starting to get it, but still a bit dark.
















Still too dark, and still has that shadow on half the face. So I moved my location to see if that would help.















Hmm, it did help but now everything is washed out with too much light. Need to adjust settings.
















I like it. Now to get her to remove the spoon and smile.






















Not quite the smile I was looking for....















And her nose is like faucet. But this is almost a smile. I will wipe her nose and try again.















"NO PICTURES, I am eating". She turns her head and gets the 'I am done with your right now look." I must respect that and concede for now.





















But she is almost done. And I think, "Hey I have the perfect lighting spot. I have the camera all set to go. So maybe when she is done I can set her right there an attempt a good picture.
Umm, yeah. That didn't work so well.






















While still moving, and with an impish smile and a giggle she says, "I run FAST!"





















And that is the end. For in manual mode the camera doesn't automatically adjust, and for as stubborn as I am I know when I am defeated. Doesn't that kind of look like a victory dance?

No comments:

Post a Comment