Why Intentful not Intentional

Why intentful and not intentional: I was thinking about how much time I spend just thinking but not actually doing and laughed to myself that I was a "thoughtful" person but what I need to be is an "intentful" person. My thoughts need to transcend into intentional action and thus I need to move away from being "thoughtful" to "intentful".

Sunday, November 15, 2009

The Transformation

We have two cats. I know, surprise! But we really do have another cat besides the wonderful and strange Oscar. We haven't tried to shun our second cat, Rudyard. The thing is has never really liked us. Oh sure, he LOVES Oscar, but Oscar adopted Rudyard as a kitten. Oscar bathed him, cuddled him, fought a dog for him, and even let little Rudyard suck on his man cat nipple. (Did I mention that Oscar is strange?)

Since maturing into a neutered man cat Rudyard went the way of all spoiled ferrell cats-you know, the ones who act like they are a stray but actually do have a warm home and a filled food bowl. Rudyard preferred sleeping outside, preferred playing outside, preferred catching his own meals outside. However, the bond one has with the man cat who nursed him is strong, so even Rudyard had to come into our house occasionally. Mostly, just for a few bites of cat food, and a quick bath from Oscar.

L's favorite color is yellow. One of L's favorite books is Charlie, a sweet tale about how Charlie the stray cat saves the day and finds a loving home. In the first couple of pages Charlie meets an old stray tomcat named Yellow Cat. Yellow cat does not appear beyond page 2. L LOVES Yellow Cat.

One recent morning Rudyard was standing at the glass backdoor asking to come in for his daily five minutes indoors. L noticed him and instantly started pointing, and cheering "YELLOW CAT, YELLOW CAT, YELLOW CAT!" As Rudyard came in, L attacked him with her gentle (yes, she actually is extremely gentle) pets, soft hugs, and a million kisses. All the while chanting "Yellow Cat!"

I stood there in shock. Our cat who hates us to touch him, or be to close to him, was happily taking L's onslaught. Rudyard ate his food, and L continued expressing her love. I went to the door expecting our normal routine of Rudyard ate, Rudyard leaves. But instead the cat went to the living room and laid on the floor for more L love. Latter I put L down for a nap, but kept hearing her say "Yellow Cat!" and laughing. I thought she was just reiterating her day as she often does, but it just didn't stop. So after about 40 minutes I peaked my head in and there was Rudyard in her crib!

Over a week has passed and Rudyard, who has now been renamed Yellow Cat, has truly transformed. He rarely goes outside, climbs in my lap, allows us to pet him, and is almost always either with L, or in her bed. Moreover, he appears to like the care she gives him. Maybe it reminds him of the forceful, but gentle way Oscar is. Sorry Yellow Cat, don't even think about nursing our little girl!

A typical morning for Yellow Cat:


Here Yellow let me tuck you in with my baby and water bottle that I can't sleep without.


You need a bedtime story.


How's this? Hmm, you don't seem to be reading it.


No worries, I will read you this book on the floor instead.


Oh no, Yellow! You lost your blanket.

Here let me help you with that.


And here is another blanket. Got to keep my Yellow Cat warm.


Ah, this is the life.

1 comment:

  1. How sweet is this story? I've never seen a cat so tolerant with a toddler, let alone a cat who shunned people before. They must be soulmates.

    PS-L's room is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete