Why Intentful not Intentional

Why intentful and not intentional: I was thinking about how much time I spend just thinking but not actually doing and laughed to myself that I was a "thoughtful" person but what I need to be is an "intentful" person. My thoughts need to transcend into intentional action and thus I need to move away from being "thoughtful" to "intentful".

Monday, September 20, 2010

Sourdough Sadness



Yes, I know I haven't blogged in a long time. And it has been an even longer time since new L pics were posted. But the sourdough bread shortage in Oregon is really something to be concerned about.

Is sourdough bread a California thing? I always just assumed because it is bread it should be rather universal. In Californina, or at least Northern California (which is actually more like central California), sourdough bread is every where. At your local grocery store there is at least 6 brands, probably more, to choose from, and almost always the blessed, glorious Colombo extra sour bread with its perfect taste, perfect soft and chewy texture, perfect bubbly crust will be there. Moreover, in California sourdough isn't limited to pre-sliced bread but resides in many, many forms-like sourdough sandwich rolls, sourdough English muffins, sourdough dinner rolls, sourdough waffles, sourdough pancakes, sourdough cinnamon rolls....I fear I am sounding a bit too much like Forest Gump's friend, Buba, when he talked of shrimp.

 Up here you are lucky if you find one mediocre pre-sliced sourdough bag hidden away behind some organic, sprouted, flax seed stuff. And although that healthy flax seed stuff is good, I don't understand the lack of sourdough choices. I just can't buy that sourdough is a California thing. Yes, California did have the Goldrush that brought lots and lots of pioneers and sourdough starters were a staple for pioneers. But Oregon is pioneer land too-Um, ever heard of the Oregon Trail? If Laura Ingall's family survived the Long Winter eating bread made with a sourdough starter on the Dakota Plains I am going to bet that sourdough starters were just a prevalent in Oregon. I don't know the state of sourdough in the Dakotas (I am fearing it may be in the same dismal place), but I do know that Oregon needs to grasp its pioneering roots and start making some decent sourdough bread!

And Colombo could you please start shipping North?

No comments:

Post a Comment