Why Intentful not Intentional

Why intentful and not intentional: I was thinking about how much time I spend just thinking but not actually doing and laughed to myself that I was a "thoughtful" person but what I need to be is an "intentful" person. My thoughts need to transcend into intentional action and thus I need to move away from being "thoughtful" to "intentful".

Monday, July 11, 2011

DIY Pottery Barn Inspired Hanging 3D Butterflies


At our local Pottery Barn Kids there has been a beautiful 3D butterfly mobile that I have been tempted to buy. When it went on clearance at their online store I was even more tempted, however, I kept thinking 1) I would cut off the mobile part and hang individually and 2) I could probably make it myself using the left over paper I used to make Hannah's letters so 3) why buy what I will destroy and that I could make.
With so much going on before Hannah's birth and so much happening since I only recently got around to making the butterflies, and I got to say I am rather happy with the way they turned out.

ACK! I just realized I forgot a step: After putting the paper in groups of twos I then glued the two pieces together (non pattern side). Each butterfly takes four pieces of paper.
First I traced one of the butterflies hanging in L's room on to heavy cardstock. Note the pencil I accidentally smeared on the face?

Once traced I cut it out. I tried using a crafting knife but found scissors to be easier.

Next I went through my remaining paper from H's letters.

Then spread it out....

So I could put the paper together in groups of twos, and glue the two pieces of paper together (glue obviously goes on non-pattern side).

Next I traced the cardstock butterfly on the paired paper.

Then I cut it out and

did the same to the next paired pieces of paper.

I used this glue to...

...put on the butterfly's thorax so that....

...I could line up the butterflies and...

...then glue together.

Once glued together I creased the buterfly wings so that they...    skip this step & crease after they are hung. I forgot the roll that gravity playS & creasing before makes them more limp than you will want.

....would look like this.


I repeated the process till I had a fleet of butterflies, and even made some smaller butterflies by tracing a butterfly cookie cutter I have.

Next up was threading the butterfly's thorax with this stuff.

I cut off a long string, threaded a needle, tied a knot at one end of the string and then poked through.

Then I poked through the other end, pulled it through, using both sides of the string tied a knot at the base, and then again at the top of the base. Sorry, I found it impossible to take a picture of the invisible string knotted.

Then I hung them on to the ceiling.

I used sticker gem stones to balance the butterflies.

Although in pastels Hannah appears to be entertained by them.



I had two large and two small extra butterflies so I glued them together and taped them on the wall.

Up close view.

I really like this one.

Pin It

2 comments: